Current Affairs for Week 14, 2013
- BRICS(Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) nations has agreed to build up a new development bank to finance infrastructure related projects in BRICS nations. The bank will have a $100 billion fund to provide infrastructure development in BRICS nations. Besides host President of South Africa Mr. Jacob Zuma, Indian Prime Minister Mr. Manmohan Singh, new Chinese President Xi Jinping, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Brazilian President Dila Rouseff also participated in the Fifth BRICS Summit held in Durban.
- Indian badminton champion Saina Nehwal is nominated for the 2012 Female Player of the Year Award of the BWF(Badminton World Federation) . Saina was nominated for an impressive performance shown by her in the season which had seen her with a bronze medal in London Olympics. Currently world number two, Saina is the only non-Chinese among the five contenders for the top annual award by the BWF. Saina won four major titles in 2012. The current world number one is Li Xuerui of China who won eight titles in 2012.
- The Defence Ministry, headed by Mr. A. K. Antony is in the final stages of preparing the New Procurement Policy. The key highlights of the New Procurement Policy will be to aggressively pursue indigenization of defense equipments, likely to raise the FDI limit in the defense sector from 26% to 75%. The New Procurement Policy will be reviewed every year. Earlier, it was being reviewed every two years.
- Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi, resigned following criticism of the government’s decision to send back to India the two Italian marines accused of killing Indian fishermen.The Italian marines– Massimiliano Lattore and Salvatore Girone — were aboard Italian vessel ‘Enrica Lexie’ when they allegedly shot dead two fishermen off the Kerala coast on 15th February last year.
- Former judge of the Rajasthan High Court Justice Sajjan Singh Kothari is sworn in as Lokayukta of Rajasthan. Governor Margaret Alva administered him oath of office in the presence of Chief Minister of Rajasthan, Mr. Ashok Gehlot. The post of Lokayukta had been vacant since May,2012 after the retirement of G L Gupta.
- Femina Miss India 2013 is won by Navneet Kaur Dhillon from Chandigarh. The results for the contest were declared on 24th March 2013. This was the 50th edition of Femina Miss India. Sobhita Dhulipala became the first runner up while Zoya Afroz was adjudged the second runner up.
- Interest rates for Small Savings Scheme and the PPF will come down by 0.10% from 1st April 2013. The new PPF rates will be 8.7% rather than 8.8% earlier.